Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Be Here Now

Be here now, no other place to be
Or just sit there dreaming of how life would be
If we were somewhere better
Somewhere far away from all worries
Well, here we are
Lyrics from "Be Here Now",  Mason Jennings 



Those lyrics pretty much sum up my thought process right now.  I am pushing myself to live in the moment.  Adopting this philosphy is somewhat out of my comfort zone.  I'm a planner and a list maker.  That's not to say that I've totally abandoned all my crazy type-A, organizing ways, but I'm trying to soak up the good things that are around me when they are happenening.

What's happening right now?  Spring woodland flowers.

In the spring, the forest canopies are wide open as the new leaves start to emerge.  This illuminates the forest floor in a way that it never is any other time of the year.  New growth emerges in the form of delicate woodland flowers.  Pockets of green on the dusky brown of last fall's leaves give them away.  These plants take advantage of the light and bloom in April and May.  By later May, the canopy is closed, and the flowers are finished until next year. 

Trout Lily (Erythronium americanum)

Spring Beauty (Claytonia virginica)


White Trillium (Trillium grandiflorum)





Trilliums usually bloom later - they are typically in full force come mid-May.  Our woods are blanketed in them.

I hope you are out there enjoying all the moments of your life.

Hear "Be Here Now" by Mason Jennings here.

No comments:

Post a Comment