Thursday, February 16, 2012

Composting

This is what my compost pile looks like -








Pretty, isn't it?

I'm not entirely sure what went on here compost wise before we arrived, but this is the pile I'm using for now.  Last spring I wasn't really in any frame of mind to get anything else up and running.

My husband was hesitant to have a compost pile here because he was (wrongly) afraid of attracting wildlife.  A well maintained compost pile might attract some animal interest (especially if it's open), but it won't smell. 

Where we moved from we had a Green Bin program.  I only composted garden waste in our backyard.  All food waste went into the green bin - it was awesome.  Here, though, only veggie and fruit scraps go in the compost.  At least it's something.

I have big plans for the compost come spring.

The whole compost/garden shed area needs a major clean up.  I want to rip down the existing compost structure (because it's terrible) and build a new open three bin system.  I prefer open pile composting because I find it easier to maintain.  I don't have to worry about the amount of waste I am adding, and there are no ridiculous little doors or lids to fight with.


1 comment:

  1. I must admit to doing little with my composter. We don't produce much to put into it. A lot of times I just chuck the leftover lettuce into the garden!

    ReplyDelete