Thursday, January 19, 2012

Icicles

I've always been fascinated by icicles. 




When I was young I thought of them as some sort of winter status symbol.  Look how wintry it is here.

I remember seeing huge arm thick, kid sized icicles on a neighbouring cottage at my grandparent's old place on Ahmic Lake.  "Whoa, impressive", my eight year old self thought.  "Now that is wintry".

That image has stuck with me through the years.  The epitome of winter.  Human habitation meets Mother nature.



Imagine my dismay when I learned that icicles forming along the eaves of a building actually signal problems with the structure.  Poorly insulated roof, heat loss, potential ice dams, the list goes on.

My winter dreams shattered as they met my practical side.  My child-like love of icicles and my type A adult self aren't seeing eye to eye on this winter status symbol.

Here on Maple Lake we have the same icicles I remember from my childhood.  And the icicles certainly are impressive.  Huge, beyond kid-sized, some 5' 6" at last measure.  They are beautiful, catching the light and colour of each sunrise over the lake.  Reflecting each perfect day.

The behemoth.  The largest icicle in this photo is 5' 6" at least.


The part of me where winter magic lives is thrilled.

The grown-up wants a new roof.

1 comment:

  1. Those are great photos Kristine! They make me cold...but they are so intriguing. They have character.

    ReplyDelete